Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Walking for a Cure: The 3-Day Part XI: Coming round the bend...

Both L and I were rather creaky and struggling on Sunday morning and I could tell she was worse off than me because I didn't have that difficult a time keeping up with her that morning. Sunday was the shortest day, because Saturday had been so long (the route was 22.5 miles on Saturday and only 16.5 on Sunday). We were looking forward to the finish and really hoping to do at least the majority of the route for the day.

We did take a Sweep Van that was so overloaded that I had to sit up front in a bucket seat with the Van's shotgun rider. It was tight and cramped but the feet were really quite hurting again so it was worth it. I did fall a bit getting into the van, but I wasn't hurt at all. The Sweep Van Crew were awesome in trying to get everybody all set. The Shotgun rider had to hold on to me to keep me from falling into the Driver but I assured her that I was very huggable and didn't mind being touched at all. She was relieved to hear that and quite happy to give out hugs at random.

We were on the home stretch and though there were a lot of walkers taking advantage of the Sweep Vans the atmosphere was excited albeit somewhat tired. It was the last day and we just coming around the bend to the final step. Everyone was happy and relieved. It was Sunday morning that we broke down and gave in to L's desire for Starbucks. Considering we were constantly passing them along the route, I was quite proud that she was able to hold off until then. I'm more of a Dunkin Donuts girl and we only passed a couple on the route so I was able to restrain myself. Though I did get an ice coffee at Starbuck's it was not really my cup of tea and the small size cup wasn't worth savoring the way I do with DD's.

We were falling a bit behind so when we hit the last Pit Stop before lunch and it was about to close, we grabbed the bus to Lunch. We were hoping to get ahead of the game again and so we got ourselves lunch, heard a few more people's stories and headed out again. That was the last time we took the bus or a Sweep Van. We made it the rest of the way under our own power

No comments:

Post a Comment